Homemade Bug Repellent Lotion Recipe
Make your own homemade insect repellent for natural, lasting protection
This fun homemade bug repellent body lotion recipe makes a light, lasting moisturizer that repels mosquitos and black flies while soothing your skin.
Think about this: the reason plants produce essential oils is to protect them from insects and other predators. So when you use essential oils to protect your skin from bugs, you're using a completely natural, effective approach. Without harmful chemicals!
This homemade insect repellent has a fresh, light citrus scent that keeps you smiling while also keeping the bugs away.
Homemade Bug Repellent Body Lotion Recipe
The TerraShield blend
by doTERRA is amazing.
It has 15 essential oils proven to repel bugs, and it smells like bubble gum.
Love it! Lasts up to 6 hours, and you only need a drop.
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons (8 to 10g) Emulsifying wax (depending on how thick you want it)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) Stearic Acid (plant based stabilizer)
- 1/3 cup (75ml) Grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) distilled Water or Lavender Hydrosol (lavender floral water)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Vitamin E
- 10 drops Citronella essential oil
- 10 drops Lemon Eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops Lemongrass essential oil
- Optional: Replace the above essential oils with 20 drops of doTERRA's TerraShield blend
- 10 drops Grapefruit Seed extract (natural preservative)
- Stir together the oil, emulsifying wax and stearic acid in the top part of a double boiler, warming slowly
over a low heat until the wax is completely melted. Remove from heat and pour in the Vitamin E.
- In a separate pot on the stove, gently warm the water/hydrosol just until lukewarm.
- Slowly pour the water/hydrosol into the oil, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until the mixture is thick, cream-colored and smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Stir in the essential oils and the grapefruit seed extract.
Pour the homemade bug repellent lotion into a clean, sterilized 8oz (250ml)
dark glass or PET plastic bottle and allow it to cool before putting the lid on.
- Shake the bottle occasionally as the lotion cools to prevent the ingredients from separating. Store in a cool, dark place.
This homemade insect repellent recipe makes approximately 8oz (250ml) bug repellent lotion.
Where to Buy Homemade Body Lotion Ingredients
If you live in the USA, I recommend buying your aromatherapy recipe ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs. Their quality is great and their prices and staff are excellent. Here's some quick links to the ingredients you'll need for this homemade bug repellent recipe...
Citronella essential oil
Lemon Eucalyptus essential oil
Lemongrass essential oil
Grapefruit seed extract
If you live outside of the States, I suggest shopping at Amazon for ingredients. You're sure to find what you need, and there's a good range of prices and sizes. Happy shopping!
Want to find more recipes with a certain essential oil in them? Use the search box below.
For example, simply type in "lemongrass" (without the quotes) and hit Search. Every page on this website that includes the word Lemongrass will pop up. Poke through them and decide what recipe to try next.
Pick up a nifty lotion making kit for a fun, easy way to get started with making your own lotions and potions. Or try one of the other homemade lotion recipes below. Have fun!
Lotion Making Help
Sandalwood Spice Lotion
Lotion Recipes Main Page
Aromatherapy Recipes Homepage from Homemade Bug Repellent