Citrus Mango Body Butter Recipe
Learn how to make body butter that really sparkles (with glitter!)
Wrap yourself in happiness! This citrus mango body butter recipe smells DIVINE!
Refreshing, mood lifting, and so sweetly citrus you'll smell good enough to eat! (Plus with glitter, you'll sparkle!)
Deeply nourishing and skin-soothing, this recipe absorbs nicely into the skin without feeling greasy,
and it's good for rough, cracked skin,
wrinkles, stretch marks and eczema and psoriasis. Suitable for all skin types.
The sweet citrus essential oil blend balances both dry and oily skin, as well as helping to heal problem skin.
As an added bonus, this particular combination of butters and oils is also good for easing muscle aches and pains.
Citrus Mango Body Butter Recipe
- 2/3 cup (4oz) Shea Butter
- 1/3 cup (2oz) Mango Butter
- 1 teaspoon Jojoba oil
- 3 teaspoons Grapeseed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E (or 1 capsule)
- 10 drops Bergamot essential oil
- 8 drops Lemongrass essential oil
- 8 drops Palmarosa essential oil
- 2 drops Cypress essential oil
- 1 drop Rose Geranium OR Ylang Ylang essential oil
- 1 teaspoon Corn Starch (reduces "greasy" feeling)
- cosmetic Mica (optional - makes it glittery)
- Put about an inch (2.5cm) of water in the bottom of a medium-sized pot and heat to a low simmer.
- Place the Mango and Shea butter in a large heat-proof glass measuring cup (such as Pyrex.)
Place the measuring cup in the water and warm slowly over a low heat until the butters are melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients.
Using a metal spoon, stir to combine. (A wooden spoon absorbs the scent of essential oils.)
- Using an electric hand mixer, whip the butter continually for several minutes (just like you would frosting.)
As you keep mixing, it will start to look like whipped cream. The more you whip it, the lighter it will become (surprise!)
Spoon into dark glass or PET plastic jars.
To reduce air bubbles, tap the jar sharply
on the counter occasionally as you're filling it. Makes about 8 ounces (250ml) of citrus mango body butter.
- Option 1: Cold Water Bath. Set the measuring cup into a large bowl filled with
ice water to help cool the butter faster. Whip the butter continually until peaks form on top.
- Option 2: All Day Method. Let the mixture sit for several hours to cool and set.
As it's setting, whip every couple of hours during the course of the day until the mixture has set to the correct texture.
Customizing Your Body Butter Recipe
- This recipe makes a fairly firm body butter.
To make it lighter, replace some of the mango butter with shea.
- Stirring the mixture with a spoon will give you a very firm consistency, more like a bar than a whipped butter.
Pour the body butter into a deodorant tube or a silicone cupcake mold and let it cool.
- You can also reduce the strength of the scent by decreasing the number of drops of essential oils.
Don't increase the essential oils, however, since they should only be a certain percentage of the total body butter recipe.
Also, citrus essential oils can cause sunburn, so don't use this before going outside to play!
- Choosing carrier oils for your skin type: For a richer body butter recipe, replace the grapeseed oil with
apricot kernel or
kukui nut oil.
- One of the great things about making aromatherapy body butter is that if you don't get it right the first time, you can just
melt it back down and start again. So if your body butter is too hard the first time,
re-melt it, add a bit more shea butter and re-whip it. Play around with the recipe - experiment to see what works
best for you. Have fun! (Take notes!)
Where to Buy Body Butter Ingredients
My favorite supplier for aromatherapy recipe ingredients is Mountain Rose Herbs.
Their prices are good, their staff are friendly and helpful, and their quality is excellent.
Here's some quick links to the ingredients you'll need for this citrus mango body butter recipe...
Bergamot essential oil
Lemongrass essential oil
Palmarosa essential oil
Cypress essential oil
Rose Geranium essential oil
Ylang Ylang essential oil
I'm sorry to say I haven't found a supplier I want to recommend for the deodorant tubes,
so if you know of any good companies please let me know in the
Body Butter Q & A. Thanks!
Where to Buy Organic Body Butter Products
I found a great company called Just Natural
that makes really good organic skin care (and hair care) products. Check out these tempting treats...
Shea Body Butter with shea and mango butter, kukui nut oil and a sweet, natural tropical scent. Amazing!
Organic Facial Butterwith almond, shea and mowrah butters, plus carrot seed essential oil to fix
rough skin patches and blotches. Great for winter!
African American Body Butter with shea, mowrah, kokum and illipe butters (super-hydrating!) plus essential oils to
Shea Butter Lip Balm with hydrating butters and oils to heal and nourish the delicate skin of your lips. SPF 15.
Check out the Body Butter Q & A
if you have questions about how to make body butter or any of the ingredients.
Then go ahead and try these other yummy body butter recipes...
Lush Lavender Body Butter
Moonlit Melts Massage Oil Candles
Soothing Shea Butter Lotion Bar
Honey Kissed Body Butter Massage Cream
Vanilla Cream Lotion Bar
Body Butters Main Page
Aromatherapy Recipes Homepage from this Body Butter Recipe
Want to find more recipes for your skin type? Use the search box below.
For example, type in "acne" (without the quotes) and hit Search.
Every page on this website that includes the word Acne will pop up.
Poke through them and decide what recipe to try next.